Tuesday 24 February 2015

About Boredom, by Kenza (online member)

What is boredom?
Boredom is a common sensation that most kids have some of the time. You’re usually bored when you have nothing to do, you’re doing something that you don’t particularly like, or you’re waiting for something that’s taking a long time.
I think it’s normal to be bored. In fact, it can be a good thing. It allows you to think while you’re not doing anything, and it’s good for the creative part of your brain.


What do you usually do to avoid boredom?
When I’m bored, I usually do things that I don’t have time for when I’m really busy, like drawing random doodles, writing my story, reading (this is a really good thing to avoid boredom) and going outdoors. Other times, I check things out that I haven’t looked at in a long time. Otherwise, it’s always a good excuse for me to tidy my bedroom!


What other things can we do to avoid boredom?
When you’re bored, it’s a good idea to use that time for something creative, like writing, drawing, and creating something. Reading is also a great idea too – it’s educational and relaxing. Other things include playing board games (like chess or Monopoly), going out for a walk (it’s good for exercise and fresh air) or talking/contacting family/friends (either in real, online, or by phone calling). There are countless things! :D



By the way, did you know, several experts say that boredom in children can be a good thing? It has been said that “it develops children’s innate ability to be creative”. Some doctors fear that children’s creativity is being stunted through increased reliance on screen technology. When bored, children immediately go to the TV or iPad instead of allowing their minds wander down the roads that lead to creativity. (This was in a BBC news report, March 2013.)

2 comments: